Job Description - Lululemon
Selling Leggings – A Glimpse into the World of a Lululemon Educator
While living abroad in Australia, I found work at perhaps the most unlikely place for a nerdy jazz pianist. Amazingly, I was hired as an Educator (corporate jargon for sales associate) at Lululemon, a luxury active lifestyle brand with global cult status. Women account for 80% of Lulu’s clientele and yoga wear is the most popular department. Unfortunately, I am not a woman and I do not do yoga.
At first, I felt quite intimidated by my teammates and guests, most in amazing shape and many popular influencers, personal trainers, or both. But soon I realized that the key to being a good educator is not perfectly fitting the brand image, but working efficiently, knowing about the products, and connecting with guests. Admittedly, the learning curve was steep but once I learned the fundamentals, I found the job to be rewarding and entertaining.
As mentioned above, the following are my three pillars of success in being a great educator (in order of importance):
• Guest Connection
• Product Knowledge
• Working Efficiently
Guest Connection
By a long shot, the most important aspect of my job was establishing a strong connection with guests. We aren’t selling candy bars or soft drinks (unless you include $50 stainless steel bottles), but rather products that usually cost upwards of $100. While some guests know exactly what they want already and will happily part ways with $500 without speaking to a soul, the majority come in curious, but skeptical and are more reluctant to spend their hard-earned money. Our job is to make our guests feel comfortable in the store and encourage them to see for themselves why our product is great.
First and foremost, we greet every guest with a smile and let them know that we are here to help. Some guests prefer to be left alone and giving these guests space is important. Often, they will eventually have a question and approach us on their terms. Others enjoy the attention of having a personal shopper and we are always eager to help them find a product that they will love. And of course, we have recurring “fans” who come in to be among others who love the brand and seek out our latest products.
Sometimes, my interactions are down to business and very related to the product. And other times, I have found myself having conversations about our favorite restaurants in NYC or how annoying the traffic is in Sydney. In all these situations, acting genuine and friendly is most important, and we follow the guests’ journey from entering the store to leaving with something they love.
Product Knowledge
While related to guest connection, holding extensive knowledge of the products we sell is imperative to maintaining Lululemon’s brand image and maintaining a professional environment. If guests are spending $120 on a pair of leggings, we must ensure that we are connecting them with the right match for their needs.
For example, if a guest runs marathons, a pair of yoga tights may feel soft and comfy in the changing room. But as soon as they break a sweat, their legs will be unsupported, and unable to breathe. Instead, we point them in the direction of running tights that will wick sweat and have a hidden pocket for their phone that keeps it out of the way.
Working Efficiently
While connecting with guests and holding product knowledge are most important for the guest experience, running a high-volume store requires great efficiency behind the scenes. For example, I may have to balance working with multiple guests at once while keeping the changing rooms and sales racks neat. Doing this at a leisurely pace means almost certain failure. Guests will lose interest and leave if they wait for too long, and our store will look unorganized.
The key to working efficiently is not moving frantically but rather strategizing priorities, knowing the layout of the store, and keeping a calm head. Always, we prioritize the needs of guests, especially if we’re busy, but we still periodically clean out the fitting rooms and clean up eyesores on the floor when we get a spare moment. Knowing the store layout well is important, since finding a product’s home can sometimes take precious minutes if I do not know its place. Keeping a calm head is essential since stress leads to panic and panic leads to mistakes.

Hi Jason! First and foremost, I appreciate the context you gave on how you got this job, and the honesty about your initial intimidation in the Lululemon world. Something else I found interesting was how you wrote about the balance between the time you spend helping customers versus taking a moment to put stray items back in their places. It always looks so graceful and calculated, so getting to read the thought process behind it was cool!
ReplyDeleteHi Jason! I enjoyed reading about your time working at Lulu Lemon. In your writing, I liked that you explained each topic and then followed up with an example from your experience. Your writing was both informational and humorous which made it easy to follow and fun to read! Great job!
ReplyDeleteHi Jason,
ReplyDeleteAdmittedly, I have always wanted to work at Lululemon because everyone there seems so nice! I liked reading your post because it seemed like you were directly telling me about your experience. I liked the examples you gave and insight on how you felt throughout the job description. Sounds like a great job experience!
Hey Jason,
ReplyDeleteI loved reading your memo; it was infused with some always-welcomed wit! What I take from your post is two key lessons. The first is that even if you were an intimidated beginner, the key to being a good educator is becoming an efficient, compassionate employee. I think that discipline and a will to please and be genuine (with clients) will go a long way, not only as a Lululemon Educator! Then, I also appreciated your emphasis on calm headedness. As someone who seeks to stay in control of my emotions at all times (this doesn't mean to stifle them, but rather to not let them overwhelm me or my actions), your reasons for keeping a calm head resonated with me! Thanks, Thomas
Hi Jason! I liked reading your post about working in Lululemon. It was very well written, organized, and easy to follow. I thought it was interesting that you mentioned product knowledge because when I first read the title, the first thing I thought was how many products Lululemon has and how complicated it must be to learn everything about all the fabrics and distinct products. I wonder how much time this took you and if it was hard.
ReplyDeleteHi Jason,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading about your experience in retail. I am the type that prefers to be alone when shopping and approach a sales associate when I have a question. I found it cool that you wrote about that because some sales associates just bombard you and don't leave you alone. Keeping your composure in a stressful situation is very valuable as it can be applied across every industry and job.
This was really well articulated Jason! I always go into Lululemon and feel very welcomed by the energy, but I do not think I ever considered the mental tenacity it takes the associates to create these environments for all incoming customers. I also do notice how everyone is so well dressed and fit, but I do find myself always resonating with people who made sure to ask outside of just my purchase details. Regarding the writing in itself, without a doubt I realize there are properly a diverse range of skills you picked up and I liked how you structured it with the bullet points in the beginning. Having those ideas further collapsed was good because they acted as a clear roadmap and made reading your work that much easier! Great job
ReplyDelete